Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mixed Emotions

This will be the 1st installment of writing about my love affair with Okinawa and how my heart will break when I must say sayonara to her and all of her beauty.

When I heard that we would be getting the location of our prayers & we would finally be near Felipe Andres again it was a time of happiness and thanks. We are thrilled to be moving so close to him and can not wait to be an everyday part of his life and him of ours. When I woke this morning my happiness turned to sadness and my emotions were a mix of joy and despair.


Describing how I feel about leaving Okinawa is something that I am not fully sure that I can put into words. Living here has taught me so many things and opened my eyes to a new way of living. Coming to Okinawa was like opening my eyes to a place that you only see in movies or books with an abundance of freshness and a people of great depth and reverence. Still today after 6 years I can say that this feeling has never wavered and has only grown stronger.


"Chura" is an Okinawan word meaning "beautiful"--beautiful environment, beautiful souls and a beautiful way of life. The beauty of Okinawa is like none I have ever seen before. Okinawa is filled with cherry blossoms in January, when the rest of Japan still is steeped in winter's iciness; azalea's turning the mountains of the northeast coast into pink flames in March and April; lilies covering the hillsides in spring like an orchestra of white trumpets; blood-red deigo (Indian Coral), the prefectural flower by which the elderly predict the number of typhoons which will threaten the islands each year. In Autumn, pampas grass covers fields and hills with a rolling sea of gold. Poinsettia abound at Christmas, and orchids are becoming more plentiful - and beautiful - here than in Hawaii. But, of all Okinawa's beauties, its people are the most beautiful. They come from a culture and history that is long and colorful - among the longest and most colorful anywhere in Asia. I will talk more about the people of my beloved Okinawa in my next post.

No comments: